Do smokers have outdoor-a-phobia?

I have a question for many of those smokers out there.  What is the reason for standing right next to the doors at a building when going out to smoke?   Is it out-door-a-phobia?

 

I’ve noticed that, despite the weather being really nice last few days, it’s not uncommon for people enjoying their “lifestyle break” stand right next to the building doors while puffing away.  In fact, not too long ago, a gentleman puffing away had to move out of the way so that the door could open unobstructed. And yes it was the only door that opened in that entrance.  It kind of reminds me of the movie Beatlejuice.  Step outside and the sand monsters will get you!  Stay as close to the door as possible so you don’t get sucked out!

 

This makes no logical sense.   Now it’s not all smokers that do this.  There’s a couple that block the bike compound at work, which is really nice for those cyclists getting off their bike after a moderately intense ride.  And yes there are those that smoke where non-smokers are not forced to walk through the blue cloud; THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  I understand your right to enjoy your smoke, but I do prefer not to have to walk through the smoke that hovers in the doorway as I enter a building.  Let’s have some common courtesy between us.  How’s this sound….. I won’t nag you about your smelly cancer stick, and you don’t block the doors when I try and enter/exit a building.   Please, enjoy the sunny weather and take three to four steps away from the door so that the wind can carry the smoke away.  That’s all I ask.

Comments

sophisting said…
Do cyclists have deodorant-a-phobia?

I'm sick of having to smell all these sweaty cyclists as they walk into the building, or when I have to share an elevator with them. Talk about air pollution!

Maybe the b/o problem would not be that much of an issue if cyclists would just have a smoke after locking up their bike in order to mask their horrible smell.