Wednesday, April 5, 2006

What a day....

So yesterday, I woke up and took a shower. When I got out of the shower and got dressed, a momentary queeziness rushed through me. You know the kind you feel a day or so before a flu hits you?? Well, since it wasn't as intense as normal, I thought, it was just due to a chilly night.

I got dressed, and jumped on the motorcycle to go to work. Normally I wouldn't have taken the bike, but the night before I figured out that the battery in my Pickup is toast, and the bike is the only way back into the city. I was planning on bringing another battery home with me.

It was still below freezing when I jumped on the bike. (barely. the thermometer at home read -0.4 C) I got the the end of the street, and turned left onto the highway. I was surprised to see that the roads were damp, most likely from condensation. There were even slippery spots. I made sure to drive carefully. Aside from a couple small ice patches, the ride to work was completely uneventful.

My fleece lined pants did wonders at keeping me warm so I was completely surprised, when I got to work and felt cold. I put another shirt on under my shirt. ( I have a spare shirt and towel at work from when I worked out at the gym at work.) after 5 minutes I was cold again, and I wrapped myself up in the towel. At this point in time, my co-worker Bruce offered me his sweater, which I gladly put on.

By 11:30 I was feeling like a dogs breakfast and told myself I was going home. I left work at noon, walked to the bike, put the saddle bags on and pulled the bike back out from the bicycle rack where I park my bike. I remembered that I was low on gas, and should check whether I have enough to go home and get the battery. (If I'm not feeling well I need the truck in case I need to drive somewhere.) I proceed to open my gas filler, and "SNAP" my key breaks off in the gas filler, which is now open.

I hunt through my pockets for a spare key, but alas, this was one of the few days that I didn't carry a spare with me. I can't get at the tools under the seat, as I need a key to release the seat, so there's no option to bypass the ignition. Only option.... Walk to a locksmith and have a new key made. So, bike in hand, and Bruce to join me for the walk, I push the bike for 15 minutes to the locksmith. Not paying attention, probably due to my headache, and stuffed sinuses, I walk the motorcycle into a tree and bust my left turn signal.

1:30pm. I'm tired, I'm feverish, and finally, I have a key for my bike. But I don't want to close my fuel filler as it may not open again. I still need gas after all, this is what got me into this predicament in the first place. I stopped for gas, and filled up. Once again, not wanting to close the filler all the way I drive homebound. Gas oozes out of the bike, running all over my pants and spilling onto the ground.

I pick up the battery for my Pickup at Costco (which was along my way home) and head home.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, and I was home by 2:30ish. but by now I had a major fever and fell asleep pretty much instantly.

Today I still have a fever, and still feel like crap. Hopefully I'll be up for work again tomorrow.

No comments: